Monday, October 27, 2014

Homecoming Weekend


Homecoming weekend has become quiet the tradition for my family. I'm really sad that this was our last year of involvement.
Friday October 17th kind of kicked off all the fun for Ethan and I. Ethan doesn't typically have class on Friday and so we were able to spend most of the day cleaning and running errands preparing for a fun weekend. On Friday Scott and his family came down to Provo for their own family party but invited us to go swimming with them. Naturally Kelsey was excited to put on her swimming suit but NOT excited to get in the water. She wouldn't leave the first step. It just so sad how much she hates the water. I mean I don't blame her and she totally gets it from me, but still.


Straight from swimming we met Hannah for a delicious Cannon Center dinner and then all went to Boomshakalaka. Last year Boomshakalaka was actually really really fun. There was music and lights and free shirts and the players were just really silly. Well it was so successful that this year they decided that they needed to commercialize it to death! It was SO BORING!!! We all ended up just staying like 30 minutes which ended up being perfect because while we were there the Nellys showed up at our house! We knew they were coming but they showed up sooner than we thought. The Nelly's decided to spend the night at our house so that their drive in the morning wouldn't be so early. It was AWESOME!!! The girls stayed up till like 10 and we just sat around talking. It was so much fun. I wish they lived closer so that we could see them every week (every day but I don't want to frighten anyone)

October 18th was the day of actual homecoming. We all got up early and got ready for the Cougar races. We decided to walk over and on our way over we ran into Hannah. None of us really got any breakfast as we were headed out the door, but we were in luck because as we were walking to the race we passed one of the pancake stations that they do throughout homecoming morning and we were able to grab some pancakes! It shouldn't have been so awesome to me, but it was. I literally got a plate with 9 pancakes on it so I was tossing people pancakes the whole way to the track. It was perfect.

This is random but I don't know where else to put this. Kelsey and Norah refused to sit anywhere the whole day but in the same stroller. Now keep in mind that this meant that they were sitting on top of each other, but they LOVED it!!


We got to the track, met the Kidds, Nelson's and Jed (Andrea was in Wisconsin running a real race)  and got all of our stuff to run the races. Of course our registrations didn't go through so Ethan had to show them our recite from like August on his phone while I was stressing the whole time that it wouldn't work. I have faith in no one. Ethan handled it like a champ and of course everything was fine. I always make things so dramatic.

So to say that Kelsey's race was disappointing would be a lie. I kind of knew that it would be because she is two, but I just expected different results. The 1-4 year olds are supposed to run a 200 meter and they started the race of with a GUN!
First 200 METERS!!! Are you kidding! Why not 20! or 10! My goodness! Ever been around kids?!
Second a GUN!! Seriously! You couldn't have just said GO! really loud? I mean have you ever been around kids.



We are standing at the starting line, Kelsey and Norah are so excited to be there and then the gun goes off. Like a million parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles etc start cheering and half the kids start crying out of nerves or straight up fear and Kelsey and Norah BOTH just melt! They won't even run. Way too chaotic. It was just so uncharacteristic of both of them, but I guess that's what you get when you sign your two year old up for a race right?! We had to literally carry both of them the whole 200 yards while they cried or whined the whole way.
Now I expected Kelsey to run like 10 feet and then quit, but I didn't expect her to go all statue on me and cry. Talk about crazy flash backs to 3rd grade All City for me!!







After the girls, the other cousins ran their races. While they were running we finally got some energy out of the girls. Apparently they are more into hurdling than sprinting.



But lets be honest. Uncle Jed was around so life was pretty awesome for the two year olds. Hands down the favorite Nelson Uncle right now.


After the kids finished running Christine, Al, Shara, Rich and I all got ready for the the 5k. I honestly have never seen Christine so pumped for anything! She was cheering,  pushing elite runners out of the way so she could get a front spot, telling people to bring it, and slapping people on the back! It was seriously the best ting I have ever seen. I felt a little ridiculous standing in front of so many elite runners with my giant belly so I decided to leave the family at the front of the line and pushed my way more to the middle. Shara quickly followed!
The 5k was really fun. I promised I wouldn't really race and I have to say that I did a GREAT job keeping my pride in check. I took it so easy up and down the hills and didn't even sprint. I've never really run a race with anyone and so running with Shara was a whole new experience. We talked the whole time and she kept reminding me to keep it easy. About half way through the race it flattened out and I was able to pick up the pace a little bit. It was such a fun race. By that point the race, my only goal was to catch every walker and child in front of me. I caught all the walkers but not the kids.
I did get beat by like 12 little kids. Another way to check my pregnant pride! Regardless I had a great time. I saw a lot of friends and family along the course and that helped. I did pretty good too. I came in 7th for my age 91 over all and got a 26:55. I mean obvioulsy not my best but I was really happy. Side note- to the lady in the triathlon jersey who cut in front of me in the shoots. Um you're an idiot! You can't cut in line! It DOES matter where you are in the line when we don't have chips! That is how they keep us organized! I mean seriuolsy!!! Have you never run before?




During the race Ethan took the little girls to save our spot at the parade and that's where we ran into Hannah again! I'm so glad that she could be there too! I honestly have never been to the parade and it was pretty fun. We had a really rambunctious group so naturally it was probably more fun that it really was, but every one had a great time.



Carson and Skylers stash!
JDawgs came by and were giving out hot dogs. I was so crazy for a hot dog that I didn't realize that they put a tshirt in my hand! Rich had to lierally be like "Cami! You have a shirt!" I was shocked that I like didn't believe him. I do love my tripleX hot dog shirt though! Its just the little things you know.





And there's the whole group! I still can't believe how many of us are in Utah! As awesome as it is, occassions like this really make me miss Carolyn and my parents. 

After the parade we combined forces and got together a really awesome picnic in the park followed by family football. I realized that I am that annoying sibling who says they want to play but then just stands in the middle of the field giving out compliments or criticisms. I can't even blame that on my prego self. Thats just me! 


So Ethan wanted to take candids and came up with this little number. WHAT THE WHAT?!

We told him to stick with just prepared shots instead.

Its not just Jed, but Andrea too that is like awesome at being an aunt. She pushed the girls like this for a while. I never would play with the kids like the Harrisons do. Everyone needs a Harrison family in their family. Luckily we have that on both sides so I am able to really be a lazy parent. 


The picnic was followed by a much needed nap time by everyone at our house. The Nelson's joined us for some chilaxing time and it was so nice.
After some down time, Ethan and I said our goodbyes to the family and headed to the MBA tailgate party at the Tanner Building where we enjoyed some hot dogs and games with other MBA friends. And then it was on to the 8:25 football game! It was so late but Kelsey was such a trooper. We only stayed for a quarter because it was getting cold and we didn't want to keep her up too late, but the quarter that we were there was really fun. She loved Cosmo, the balloons, the band, and climbing up and down the bleachers.



With about 5 minutes left in the 1st quarter Kelsey started sitting with us and asking to go home. We made a good call in leaving because she crashed on the way home.


I'm really sad that we won't be around next year to do fun BYU things. These past two years have been so fun and being at BYU has made entertainment so cheap and easy. Plus obviously I will miss all the family interactions. Until then, I hope days like Homecoming day keep happening because they really are the things we look forward to more than anything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment