Monday, August 15, 2016

My Parents mission call

On July 25th, we all gathered around the computer via google hangouts and watched my parents open their mission call to Tokyo Japan South mission serving for 23 months. HOLY COW!!! We all made guesses and some even guessed Tokyo, but to actually hear them say that was incredible and so surreal.
They report October 24th


And if you want to know what a video chat with 30 people looks like here ya go. Don't get too sick!
(we all muted our computers while my parents read their call so this wouldn't happen)



I've had a lot of people ask me how I feel about my parents serving a mission. I've never really thought about it until recently, but my feelings are nothing crazy. Obviously 23 months is a crazy long time. SO LONG!! But I don't live by my parents now so I guess I figure, whats the difference between Tokyo or Spokane? Either way they aren't close and either way they are only a plan ride away ;) (right Ethan!) For reals though, we have grown up living apart, all of us, and this will be no different.
I also have no feelings but joy for them. They have talked about serving a mission together for as long as I can remember. My mom and dad didn't' serve as kids, so this is their chance to go and serve and they get to do it together. How awesome will that be! I am so excited for them. Of course it will be hard because  despite distance I still see my parents about once every 6-9 months and talking to them now is easier than when they will be in Japan, but mission rules for seniors is so different. We will still get to talk lots. Plus, back to my original statement, this has been their dream for YEARS!! How could I be anything but happy for them that it is finally coming true?! My siblings and I are very close and I do not fear that that will change with my parents gone. This is an amazing opportunity to share the gospel with our kids and friends as we explain to people why are parents aren't coming for Christmas and other events. Sometimes I think about my parents missing stuff like holidays, moves, possible babies etc, but then I just keeping thinking about how this is what being an adult means. I don't mean that in a cynical way either. I truly mean, there comes a point where I have to be okay that my mom isn't going to be at every major event in my life. She is still crazy proud of me and I know that whether she is there in person or spirit, she cares about everything that is going on. We have reached a cross road where for the next two years, they will be in Tokyo and I will be, well somewhere else, and that is the way it will be. Both our lives will keep going and when they get back, we will be reunited in one giant party!  I just have a complete testimony that this is where they need and want to be! They wouldn't have it any other way. What a great example. They are so willing to leave behind their family, business, home, and lives, all of which they love dearly, and go to a strange place with a new language, and new people, and a new everything, to help improve the lives of those in Tokyo. I hope that someday I am that committed to the gospel. Their testimonies have always astounded me, but this just takes it to the next level for me. They have always loved the gospel, but now they are willing to show just how much. THAT is true faith.
I am so excited for my parents and I know that I will miss them so much, but I couldn't be happier for them. We wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment