We left for Chicago on May 20th from Bountiful Utah. Obviously we felt in too much of a hurry and had to turn around and get a bag of clothes, food, and books, but after that... we were on our way. this trip we finally decided that our CD's were especially lame and finally got an IPOD dock for the car. I mean, to be honest, our IPOD is pretty lame too, but the songs are at least from 2005 and sooner.
We packed as light as we could, but things were still pretty tight. We only had to bring clothes, but we also have a kid so things just automatically multiply. With minimal toys, a pack-n-play, a booster, food, car games, some blankets, and other random stuff, we were pretty packed to the brim.
We left with plenty of time to get to our first destination, South Dakota, but about an hour into the ride, Kelsey started to realize what was going on and decided that she did not want to be there. We tried everything we could to keep her happy, but she wasn't having it. Luckily Little America gas station is not that far into the trip and has a playground so we decided to stop for about 30 minutes. With some wiggles out (and fruit snacks, cookies, and "Let it Go" playing 5 times in a row) we got her back into the car.
| Don't be fooled, the headphones didn't work. We had to listen to everything she watched. I can confidentially say I strongly dislike Frozen right now |
She fell asleep quickly and the rest is history. We had a great trip with no hiccups. When we hit mid Wyoming we hit rain and it rained pretty much the rest of the way, but something had to happen in Wyoming because the normal Wyoming is pretty boring. Oh and I was awake this time to see Martins Cove. I totally regret not stopping.
NOT Martin's Cove, but pretty
We arrived in Rapid City around dinner time and Alex made us a delicious orange chicken dinner with edamame (first time having them and I LOVE them). The night was spent playing with cousins. Kelsey couldn't stop following her "cosains" around. She was in heaven!! And the best part was, they WANTED her around. It was so much fun. Alex would read her stories and dance with her, Syndey played bears, Camryn talked to her and got her to say new words, Ainsley showed her things to do all day, and Zack let her do well anything. She loved Zack a little too much, but he's a trooper.
| Ainsley did my hair while I was sleeping and LOVED how it turned out |
Also, thanks to Alex, I learned Twinkle Twinkly Little Star on the cello. It was a bucket list thing to play a cello. I mean I'm no Yo Yo Ma, but he better watch out.
On Thursday we got a tour of the base and the coolest playground I have ever seen! We also got to see the Tigers area. The coolest part though, was while we were there, two B1's took off. I have never EVER heard anything so loud in my whole life. It was truly amazing. The air literally shook. SHOOK! It was awesome.
Zack can't get away so he was a pretty easy target
Everyone doing the cheese roll. Maybe Kelsey's favorite part of playing
Ainsley got hurt in the fun and showed me all about it. She was pretty upset.
Kelsey got a fun birthday gift for the car from Grandma and Poppa Nelson. She obviously loved it
Thursday night we all got to go to Alex's soccer game followed by dinner at Beau Jues (I think) which is an amazing pizza/salad buffet. It was really delicious but the coolest part was that there was a band practicing some blue grass music. It just made the whole experience more authentic.
Trying Sprite for the first time...
It was so hard to leave Rapid City. Like so hard! I love Rapid City and Carolyn and her family so much. It was so helpful to be able to talk to Carolyn too about my Chicago fears. We went on several runs and just talked about how great this was going to be regardless of my nerves. I am so grateful that I have older siblings. They are not only great examples to me and what I can become, but actually believe in me that I CAN become someone just as great.
South Dakota trip thoughts: Wyoming is super boring and flat. Not a whole lot to look at. Honestly it is more exciting when there is a rain storm because the clouds kinda add to beauty of the plains. As soon as you hit Rapid city and the Black Hills, it get GORGEOUS!! I love Rapid City. It feels super homey and I love being there. There is so much to do there especially if you like being outside.


No comments:
Post a Comment