We left South Dakota on Friday May 23rd and headed for Minneapolis. As we were packing the car it was hot and humid! Like really humid. Carolyn had no sympathy. She just laughed as said good luck in Chicago.
We planned our trips out so that the longest leg was first and they got shorter from there. Minneapolis was still left long, but it WAS shorter so that helped. (to SD= 10.5 hours of driving, Minneapolis= 8 hours of driving)
As part of our trip we decided that we were going to stop at stops that sounded fun and not just drive straight through (minus Martin's Cove apparently. Still mad at myself about that one!) Along the way to MI, we stopped at the Bad Lands in SD. It was a wonderful detour.
When we got to the Minnesota sign we were so excited. It is the only sign that we took a picture of because it was actually cool.
Although we had a few hiccups, we had this in the back seat so all was well! (yes she's listening to Frozen. AGH!!! I'm not anit Frozen but we were on like our 15th run through you know)
First glance of Minneapolis
They had a cat which was lame, but Kelsey was in heaven. She chased that thing all over the house and would climb under couches and stuff just to give it a kiss goodnight. They also had a dog but since the owners went on a vacation, they took the dog with them. 

Saturday was dedicated to touring Minneapolis. The biggest city that I had ever been to was Salt Lake. All 4 blocks of it. I just couldn't stop looking at the horizon. It was beautiful. Before we left Provo, basically from the minute that I found out about Chicago, I started researching all the cities that we were going to stop in and tried to find the most touristy things I could in all of them.
It was a beautiful morning in Minneapolis and I was SHOCKED at how NOT crowded it was. I don't know if all cities are like that on a Saturday but seriously, we had the place to our selves.
It was so beautiful. I just loved all the architecture and i couldn't get over the skyline view.
some random bike thing that we saw EVERYWHERE
the Target center
Across the street from the park with the spoon and cherry was this gorgeous cathedral. We didn't have time to go inside but since it was the first thing that we could see from our drive into the city, I was kind of in love with it the whole time.
So Minneapolis literally has like billion parks every where. I don't know which one we were at but it was a hit. There was a park there with these awesome chair swings and Kelsey loved it. There was also this family there that totally spoke Wisconson (that's where they were from) and it was awesome. I tried to get it on tape but couldn't. I just loved the way they said, well everything. Funny thing about this family was the mom. We got to talking and I told her why I was in town and she was telling me why I was in town and my goodness! She didn't want to brag but "Man son is graduating from his MBA with a 4.0, he has a minivan and three kids, he has being married to his wife for 10 years, he runs marathons, and has a great job. Oh and his wife is a certified psychologist." Wow... it was a lot of fun.
these flowers were black. It was super cool
The whole trip, all Ethan wanted to do was play basketball in the city. We got to the park and there was a basketball court and he was off. He was having a great time...
and then it got super exciting because then people started joining him and it was the exact crowd he was hoping for.
After walking around the city (which seriously was DEAD. Granted we were in the government district on a Saturday but still), we decided that it was time to move on to the Mall of America. Okay if you HATE mall traffic DONT EVER GO TO THE MALL OF AMERICA!!! The traffic was terrible. I mean like awful, but we finally got a parking spot and then it was just really fun.
It really is as big as people say. The only way to describe it is to say that they built Lagoon, and then put a mall around it. Not even kidding. The pictures don't do the middle justice but it really does challenge Lagoon. Its not as spread out but the middle may have as many rides and attractions as Lagoon.
At the Lego store. These statues are all made out of Legos
Kelsey was hilarious at the Lego store. We were resting and thought she was enjoying the legos but then we looked over and she was CLEANING!!!! Other little kids kept pulling the legos out and she kept putting them back into the middle. It was hilarious, but hey, at least she got little kid interaction.
Favorite picture of the whole trip. Ehtan HATES taking selfies... obviously
This was called Old Ruins Park
Here is the best picture of the bridge that we could get. Now that I'm typing this I am remembering that there was a trail on the OTHER side of the river that probably would have been better. Whoops. It was beautiful none the less.
This is a picture that someone else took
After the Mississippi we drove over to the campus of the University of Minnesota and just walked around. Again it was super dead, but we heard that graduation was that day. Their campus is gorgeous. This is a view of the south side looking into the city.
and here is the Arts building
and here is the mascot
For dinner we stopped at McDonalds and a frozen yogurt place. Ethan's favorite and my favorite things to eat. Ice cream and fries. Can you really go wrong.
We were heading back to our house to get Kelsey to bed and noticed that our house was right next to Calhoun Lake. Calhoun Lake is the Lake that you see in pictures like this:
On our way we passed Lagoon street and I thought of all my nephews in Utah
Don't worry... I'm not done yet!
On Sunday we had to leave Minneapolis to get to Milwaukee. On the way out we decided to stop and see the capitol in St. Pail and in addition to that we saw the biggest BIGGEST cathedral I have EVER seen in my life. I couldn't get a picture that could do this building justice but my goodness, it was mesmerizing. So as we were driving away from St. Paul I decided to look up where the temple was in Milwaukee and I saw terrible news... there's a temple in St. Paul!!! We were like 5 minutes from it and we didn't even go. I was so sad, but on we pressed.

Aside from missing the temple (and church), we had a great time in Minneapolis. It was exciting to get going though. On to Milwaukee.
Here's my Minneapolis impressions: Very green, VERY clean, and churches EVERYWHERE!! There were churches everywhere and they were all beautiful.














holy cow! It looks like you guys are having so much fun! I can't wait to read about more your adventures!
ReplyDeleteFun to read! I never really had any desire to go to that part of the country but it looks really cool. I loved the segways and Ethan's street ball experience. We miss you guys and hope you are doing well.
ReplyDelete