Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Just Kelsey

I have always known that my generation can't name their children. Like everything in life, naming your baby has become a contest. Heaven forbid our children have normal names. Heaven forbid mom and dad DONT make up their babies name. Heaven forbid your child shares their name with someone in the world. And heaven forbid teachers can read your child's name first try in all their 19 years of education. I don't get it and I don't think I ever will.

This all came up because when I went to playgroup for the first time in my new ward everyone was introducing themselves and asked me what my daughter's name was. I told them it was Kelsey, and someone goes, JUST Kelsey? Huh?
YUP! JUST Kelsey and even better than that it is spelled EXACTLY like you would spell Kelsey. I hope that Kelsey has the confidence in life to have a name that teachers can pronounce and friends can spell. Sorry Kelsey for giving you such a boring, average name, normal name.

To prove I am not just crazy, I decided to make a list of all the names that I have met while being in Provo.

Can't tell the gender until you meet them:
Evan
Stevie
 (both girls, but lets be honest, girls are taking over ALL boys names. Taylor, Jamie, Michale, Elliot, Charlie, etc. Boys just don't have names anymore. That being said, I still think that a girl can't have a boy name just because. Evan is a little too boy still for me.)

Made up spellings:
Alicen
Sorriah (pronounced Sariah)
 Keltsie (now this is sorta cool, because a lot of people I know throw a T into my Kelsey's name like it is already there and so maybe this family was helping everyone out with crazy pronunciations.)

Made up names:
Jaydee (cute but not really a name)

 Not crazy weird, but really:
Cache
Locke
Brogen
Gunner

I'm sorry your parents weren't thinking:
Silver
Ransom
Thor (not a nickname)
Boo (a girl and this is not a nickname)
Lear
Bitsy (not a nick name)
Silas

This is absolutely none of my business and someone out there might be making fun of the name Kelsey, but I just had to share with those of you who have named your children with the knowledge that someday they will be adults in society. 

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201307/nine-baby-naming-rules-2013?printable=true

5 comments:

  1. Usually when people say ,for instance, "Just Madison", it's because they are surprised that only 1 person in our family has a middle name. Those are some interesting names for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your probably right. It just caught me off guard after a list of these names.

      Delete
  2. Good thing Harper was a girl, because if she had been a boy it's quite possible her name would have been Silas. Hopefully we still could be friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Julie I am so so so sorry! I had never heard that name before. I am so sorry. I will take it off the list. I shouldn't have even posted this post

      Delete
  3. Boo?! Really?! Oh my! I really think weird names are huge in Utah. Sure, there are plenty of weird names in other places, but maybe it's just because there are so many kids in Utah that people feel like they need to stand out. I don't know. Growing up with a name no one could pronounce or spell, I decided to be a little nicer to my kids (I didn't realize Norah with an "h" was the different way to spell it until after she was born). Thank you for this list! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete