Sunday, January 29, 2017

Bainbridge Island

One rainy Saturday we had nothing to do so we decided to hop on a Ferry and head to Bainbridge Island. It was something we wanted to do at one point and we figured this was as good a time as any. We left around 10 and planned to be home around 3:30.
We left in a such a hurry. I grabbed a few snacks, packed the girls some clothes, and we were able to catch the 10:30 ferry. Getting on the ferry was exciting and smooth. I-90 essentially ends at the ferry dock and I've never been on a ferry so it was fun to drive up onto it and then go up onto the deck. Its scary for me, but I love doing new things. It makes me feel much cooler than I actually am.

The ride over was about 35 minutes and luckily the rain had stopped so we were able to go out on the deck more comfortably.




Once we got to the island we actually drove to a little town called Paulsbo. It is a little Norwegian looking town (because I would know) right on the coast of whatever body of water they are on. To be totally honest, I never know what water Seattle and its surrounding areas are touching. I know there is the Sound and I know there is the coast, but we are not on the coast and there are so many inlets and things that I get super confused. Its all really pretty though.
This town was really cute though. It was all decked out for Christmas and not very crowded. There was a little Santa house where Santa sat and you could go inside and sit on his lap. Best part: no line! He literally just sat in this little shack in the middle of the sidewalk for people to walk in and out of. It was awesome. There was also a horse drawn sleigh free of charge and trees everywhere. We had so much fun.
We went into this bakery that served doughnuts the size of my face and then walked along the water before the rain came.



There was a cool walk around the "lake" but the stairs all led to the water. It was kind of creepy
I hate doughnuts and I am never tempted by them. they just destroy my stomach and I am over feeling terrible. However, we bought this and Ethan was like, "Cami, you HAVE to try this." I am not one to exaggerate, so you know how serious I am when I say that this hands down, was literally THE BEST doughnut in the whole world. It was like doughy crack topped with gold sprinkled with rainbows and happiness. It was amazing. I mean, yes it still destroyed my stomach almost instantly so I couldn't have a ton, but it was worth every ounce of discomfort.
 
After Paulsbo, we headed over to a really fun beach and threw some rocks in the water. On our way back to the car, there was a GIANT puddle that I knew was going to be trouble. Sure enough, before I could even say stop, the girls were in the middle of this puddle. "Don't worry. they have their boots on," says Ethan. Not 10 minutes later, Madison face plants and instead of standing back up, tries to SWIM her way out of this puddle. Naturally Kelsey thought that was hilarious and started doing cannon balls. Don't get me wrong, it was hilarious and they were having a blast, but it was literally 40 degrees outside!! I don't remember why, but I did have dry clothes in the trunk (including shoes) but if we didn't have those we would have been toast!!


Madison was getting so hyper! It was hilarious








Around 3, we decided to head back so that we wouldn't be late for the 3:45 ferry and this is where all the fun started. We waited in line to board the ferry for 2.5 hours!! We got in line at 3:15 for the 3:45 ferry and didn't get on a ferry until 5:45!! It was insane. The poor workers kept apologizing explaining that a couple ferry's had emergency's so they had to leave early etc. but it was awful. Luckily, we had a few snacks and since you park and wait for the ferry, the girls were able to get out of the car and run around. It was nuts. Had we known we would have driven all the way around because it would have taken just as long.
We bought some tots at the cafeteria to hold the girls over once we finally got on board and seeing Seattle all lit up almost made it  worth it.
We are not anxious to get on the ferry any time soon, but we had such a great day. That is something we definitely will want to show people when they come and visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment