Monday, August 15, 2016

Monsoon season

July to September is monsoon season. That is the time of year that Arizona gets its rain. Other than those few months, it never really rains. The storms here are very different than what I'm used to and for several reasons:
1. After it rains it doesn't smell good. There is no "after rain" smell. There is so much dust in the air, that it just smells, well, stuffy
2. The storms last about 10 minutes and then leave. Obviously sometimes they will last longer, but rarely do we have a cloudy day all day long. It has happened, but it certainly is the minority
3. The rain itself is warm. I remember one time in December is was a cold rain, but most of the time its warm enough to play outside in which is super fun for the girls.
4. Once it rains, it goes right back to being hot. The coolest time is when the storms are blowing in


I have never lived somewhere where you can watch huge dark clouds roll in for miles. It is amazing! I'm sure other places like this exist, in fact I know they do. I just haven't ever experienced them first hand. It is so beautiful. Watching the storms roll in has been one of my favorite things about Arizona. you don't really notice them coming and then the wind will pick up. You look off and sure enough, there is a massive wall of black coming. The clouds literally roll in and even at night you can see them do it. The best is obviously when there is lightning intermixed with the clouds too. One thing that has really surprised me about monsoons season is how often the storms come. I mean for a few weeks it is like every night. It doesn't rain every night, but there will be a huge formation roll in. Its just been so fun to get to know.

 
  See the cool lightning in the left hand corner!! I also love this picture becasue you can see where the night sky is just getting swallowed by storm. This was a particularly cool storm becasue it was coming from the north and the south.  Also can we all recognize how amazing photographers are who actually and INTENTIONALLY catch pictures of lightening! Hardest thing I have ever tired to do. And this picture was on accident!





No comments:

Post a Comment