Monday, August 4, 2014

A Visit From Grandma

Gramma Wing came to visit July 22nd-July 26th and it was maybe our favorite week of July. It was just so nice to have someone familiar around. Plus it was fun playing tour guide because we actually could. Its amazing how much we can tell you about Chicago right now.

Diana came with a packed schedule and we were very happy to follow her around. Our task was to find local places to eat and I personally think we did a great job.

On Tuesday, when she arrived, we spent most of the day getting settled and catching up. Diana was a huge help to me because she actually played with Kelsey and kind of took her off my hands for a bit. It was kind of the first break we have had from each other (besides church and running) all summer. After Ethan got home from work we went to Roots Cafe. Roots is a local whole food pizza place. I love good food, but normally wholefood/fresh organic food really doesn't make a difference to me, but this place was amazing! It really tasted like they JUST made it because they did. We loved it. Since it was a cold day they couldn't open the wall and so it was kind of loud inside the restaurant, but the food was still amazing.

Wednesday was another really full day. We took Diana down to the MSI so that she could see the Disney exhibit. While she was there Kelsey and I looked at the last third of the museum that we still hadn't seen. The time FLEW by. We were there from like 9:30-2:30!! It was a very full day followed by a very long nap!

That evening we all ate a place called Lillies Q. Again super loud and SUPER SUPER delicious!!!  It was a small little place which added to the experience. I didn't get a picture but my favorite part were the draft handles at the bar. They were made out of old butcher knives!

It took a while for a food to come and Kelsey wasn't having it. Luckily Gramma has the BEST toys ever in her purse and just whipped out this Tangled magnet board. It kept her entertained for so long. I really need to get better busy toys for my purse. The pen and notepad aren't cuttin it these days.

Lillie Q's is known for its delicious food, but the thing that makes people come are the Pickles soaked in cherry Kool-aid!!! Yup. I typed that right. Pickles soaked in cherry Kool-aid!! Before you judge just know that they are a perfect mixture of everything: sweet, salty, spicy, and crunchy! I don't even like pickles and I loved these. Rephrase. I HATE pickles and I loved these! They were definitely weird and I couldn't eat like a million but they were awesome.


Thursday was a trip for just the girls. Diana has always wanted to go to Greendale WI and so on Thursday we took the 1.5 hour drive up to make it happen. It was the cutest little town with the cutest little shops. We ate at this little diner that had a jukebox and Kelsey danced more than she ate, but it was just so much fun. I feel silly because honestly the only picture I got was of the temperature that day! It was a beautiful day.

While Diana shopped a little bit and looked at cookbooks, Kelsey and I played at the park and sat in the shade. It was such a nice change from the city. It was quiet, peaceful, and grassy. Kelsey and I had such a great time. The drive back was no fun though. Traffic was terrible!! It took us an hour to drive 10 miles. A 1.5 hour drive took 3 to get home. Luckily I was in great company though so the time passed rather quickly. 

Friday Diana met with a friend down town and Kelsey and I just relaxed around the house. Ethan brought home a pizza from work so we spent the evening just visiting and eating more pizza.

Saturday Ethan and I went on a date in the morning and then drove up north to met Diana's old childhood friend Janey. It was a lovely evening complete with great food and swimming. Kelsey didn't love swimming and will tell you all about how sad she got because the water was cold, but she did love the cat named Pumpkin and will still tell you about him too. She also loved the ice cream cone that she got and all the little friends that were there to play with her.
Sadly Diana had to leave Sunday morning. It was such a nice break to have Diana here. It also helped that week go quickly for me. I was really starting to feel homesick for something routine and having Diana here helped me get that fix so I could suck it up until the end. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to have been of service to you. It was a great sacrifice of course, but that is just what a mother/mother-in-law does. Hey, you missed talking about PIE-o-Neer day! That was a great time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bwahahaha! totally going to try and make those pickles now!

    ReplyDelete