Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween 2013


Before I give our Halloween break down, I just want to share a few thoughts on Halloween. First, have you ever noticed that Halloween is like THE holiday now? Its not a bad thing, but it's kinda true. Christmas is still everyone's favorite but no one ever has the time to party as they do for Halloween. It is only like 3 weeks long and cramped with so much wintery goodness that there is just no time for parties. Thanksgiving obviously gets over looked which is a true shame in my opinion because it is a fantastic holiday (and not just because of the food), so Halloween has become the one where people party like crazy! That being said we partied like crazy. I don't LOVE Halloween, but I think its super duper fun.  I decorate, I carve pumpkins, I make mummy hot dogs, buy dry ice for punch, and support trick or treating, but I don't love Halloween. I think its because I HATE  to dress up. My idea of dressing up is wearing orange and black. I will but I don't love it like some people do.


Halloween was super fun this year. We started the party by going to the MBASA Halloween party complete with games, trick or treating, a hay ride, chili and cornbread, a costume contest, and a pie eating contest. Ethan was a good sport and participated in the pie eating contest and since he was going to play he was going to win! Well, he got second but we still got a gift card so it was still awesome. I wanted to enter Kelsey in the homemade costume contest (since she was the only one dressed up in our family), but the judges picked the winner before the party began :( We didn't even get to play which made me very sad. The party however was still very fun, but super overwhelming. About 120 adults came and they all brought at least 1 child. Enough said right? 100 kids excited and running solely on candy? CRAZY!!!! We left a bit early because it was getting out of control and Kelsey didn't really care. Plus the line to trick or treat was wrapped around the gym like two times.
I love how disheveled Kelsey looks! All she wants is to get out of that costume

The weekend before Halloween we went to the Ward trick or treating party complete with a costume parade, chili and cornbread, and trick or treating. I should have taken a picture of our awesome door, but forgot. It was pretty awesome though. So we took Kelsey trick or treating and she really didn't get it. We started at the door with Ethan behind it, he put candy in her pumpkin, she sat down and demanded it be opened right then and there. She wouldn't move until it was. I tired to show her that you get more if you keep going to all the doors, but she wanted those Smarties like you wouldn't believe. There were only about 8 doors, and I think by 7 and 8 she started to get it, but that was with some coaxing and with the Smarties open and ready the whole time. The ward party wasn't as big as the MBASA one so I think it was a little more enjoyable.

We didn't have a Halloween party this year. But no worries! Halloween was still fun and a very fun day. I decided to make it a family party since we couldn't have friends over. While Ethan was at school, Kelsey and I decorated and made sure a Halloween party mix was playing in the back ground when he walked through the door. We enjoyed Mummy Dogs and Tombstone pizza while wearing our costumes.




 After a small dance party, we got Kelsey all dressed up to go trick or treating in the ward neighborhood. So because I am not really a dresser upper, it rubs off on to finding costumes for Kelsey. I thought that she could just be a lobster this year (exactly what she was last year) and let me tell you,  as cute and adorable as it was last year, she sure hated it this year :)

                                        Last year....                                                This year....





Lesson learned Kels!  You can't repeat costumes!
She not only bit one of the eyes, but tried to rip off the head the whole night. She HATED it! 

I was SOOO excited to take her trick or treating, but it was a HUGE BUST!! We practiced at the ward party and we would practice at home (Ethan would take her outside and knock on the door and I would answer and hand her candy) and she just didn't get it. She didn't want to walk, she didn't want to hold her pumpkin that she carried around for a week, and she didn't want to say Hi or Happy like we practiced. All she wanted to do was cry until I gave her a sucker and stay in dads arms the whole night. I was so sad because I knew that if she just did like 3 houses, she would love what was going on. I guess I just have to except that next year will be our trick or treating year. We made it to about 5 house, but by the end, when the sucker ran out, and the tears came back, we knew it was time to go.




Once Kelsey went to bed, Jed and Andrea came over and we finished our Halloween party complete with caramel apples and dry ice. We got all snacked up and watched the Village. We all really don't like scary movies and so this was about all we could handle :)
 I am really sad about trick or treating but Halloween was still a very fun day this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment