Thursday, September 12, 2013

The many faces of Ethan Wing



I don't know how many of you have ever had the opportunity, nay, the privilege, of watching a BYU football with Ethan, but for those who have missed out on such occasions, I thought that I would help you understand just how my life is for 4 hours about once a week starting at the end of August until the end of November. . Ethan loves sports, but especially BYU sports. There is no way to describe his love except that he loves BYU sports. I try to remind Ethan every game that win or lose his life will still be the same. A loss hurts, a win is AWESOME, but ultimately his life is going to be the same. Anyway, it doesn't help so I have just excepted that this is one of his major passions. He is starting to handle it better. He now is only mopey after a lose for about 5 days and re watches the game clips for about a week after a win. 
While he is watching the game, Ethan is literally the only one there in his mind. He can't really hear other people talking, he can't really hear other people cheering, he doesn't notice the weather, and he doesn't notice his proximity to others (he has accidentally elbowed people and jumped into them because he didn't know that they were there) I am not trying to make Ethan sound like a football pig because he is not. He is still super helpful with Kelsey and answers all my questions... I just have to make sure that I ask at time outs or dead times or half time. 

On Saturday September 7th BYU played Texas at home. Texas was ranked number 13 and BYU was not ranked at all. In fact BYU was coming off of a road loss to Virginia just the week before. Their chances technically were not very good. However, BYU played remarkably well and won 40-21. It was a great game with tons of really fun plays. As with all football games, there were good calls and bad calls, calls in our favor and calls that hurt us big time. There were good hits, cheap shots, and face masks. Ethan was going nuts next to me when we took the lead and I thought that it would be fun if I took some pictures of him to capture him enjoying all aspects of the game. It was hard to take pictures of him because he kept moving but I got some good ones. Now it's important to know two things before looking at these pictures. One: Ethan had no idea that I was taking them until after the game when I showed him and Two: these were taken within a 5 minute time period. Just imagine what a whole game is like!!






Don't you just love Ethan! Hannah was nice enough to watch Kelsey so Ethan and I could go to the game by ourselves. It was such a nice treat. 

In other news, Provo on Saturday September 7th was INSANE!!!!! The day started off around 90 degrees and sunny. I went up to Salt Lake to see my parents for a few hours (they had a lay over from 3-6) and so sadly I missed everything! I say sadly because it was once in a life time weather here in Provo. Again the day started off at 90 degrees and sunny. Throughout the day the skies started getting more and more cloudy, but nothing too crazy. Ethan was in town and so he went to the game. the game started at 5 and so he left at about 4 to soak in the arena, the players, and the season opening for another year. At around 4:30 I got a text from Ethan saying "It is literally a tsunami at LES!" By the time I realized that LES was Lavell Edwards Stadium, my grandma was convinced that there was a tsunami in China and my dad turned on the news to see the flood like rain pouring over Provo. It. Was. INSANE!!!!  

BYU and Texas fans take cover from the rain as a storm passes over Provo prior to game time Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013 at LaVell Edwards stadium.BYU students have fun in the rain as a storm passes over Provo prior to game time Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013 at LaVell Edwards stadium.BYU and Texas fans take cover from the rain as a storm passes over Provo prior to game time Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013 at LaVell Edwards stadium.

landslide

Again I missed all of it, but after watching videos and hearing stories there was a massive wind storm (and a wispy tornado in the fields of Provo. I mean totally wispy) and then the clouds rolled in super low and dumped everything they have been holding for the past 4 months. The rain was incredible. Roads were flooded, trees were down, the stadium flooded, our apartment flooded (and took 4 days to dry out). I mean everything was under water. The whole student section was packed and they all had to go under the bleachers when the lightening started striking to ensure their safety. That is when I got the text from Ethan. He tried to call but with the wind, rain, and hundreds of students I couldn't really hear him. The rain lasted about an hour and then they had to wait for the lightening to clear before they could start the game. This allowed me time to get down to the game and only miss the first 5 mins so in the end it ended up being just fine. My goodness though, what a storm. We actually didn't know that our apartment flooded. Our landlord caught it and we came home to a giant carpet fan. I talked to her later and she said that the stair well was full of about 6 inches of water and that our apartment was just letting it all in. I am so glad that I missed that chaos. I would have been a mess trying to help. Nothing got ruined so it really was okay in the end. Like many things, I missed a huge part of Provo history. 
Once the storm passed, the weather was perfect for a late game. It ended up starting about 7 and so it ended pretty late, but luckily Hannah was super cool with all the changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment