Alaska: Salmon
Arizona: Chimmicanga
California: Salad with Avocados
Colorado:Denver Omelets
Connecticut: Apizza (clam pizza)
Florida: Key Lime Pie and Cubano Sandwiches
Georgia: Fried Chicken and Peaches
Hawaii: Kahlua Pork Rice with Spam and Pineapple
Idaho :Chicken Fingers and Potatoes
Illinois: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
Iowa: Maid Rite (sloppy joes)
Kansas: BBQ Ribs
Kentucky: Hot brown
Maryland: Crab Cakes and Crab Legs
Massachusetts: Clam Chowder
Michigan: Michigan Pasty (Meat Pies)
Minnesota: Juicy Lucy (Stuffed Hamburger)
Missouri: Fried Ravioli
Nevada: Buffet
New Hampshire: Corn beef and Potatoes
New Jersey: Hoagies
New Mexico: Green Chili Enchilada
New York: Buffalo Wings
North Carolina: Pulled Pork
North Dakota: Knoephla Soup (Butter soup with Potatoes)
Ohio: Chili
Oregon: Mac and Cheese with Marion berry Pie
Pennsylvania: Philly Cheese Steak
South Carolina: Grits and Shrimp
Tennessee: Memphis Ribs
Utah: No communication, bring-what-sounds-good Pot Luck
Vermont: Ben and Jerry's
Virginia: Ham and Biscuits
Washington: Cheap Chicken and Pasta Salad
West Virgina: Pepperoni Roll
Wisconsin: Cheesy Brats
Cami
Favorite to Eat: Ohio
Favorite to Cook: North Dakota
Least Favorite: Arkansas
Easiest to check off: Utah and Nevada (I didn't have to do anything. Just showed up and took a picture)
Hardest to check off: Alabama (I had a hard time finding green tomatoes people were willing to give)
All the meals were either very easy to make or normal for a dinner. If I had to pick a most difficult to cook then I would probably pick Nebraska, Michigan, West Virginia, and North Dakota because there were so many steps involved. They weren't hard just time consuming.
Ethan
Favorite to Eat: Louisiana
Least favorite: Arkansas
This idea started because one time in March I was tired of making the same meals over and over. I love what I cook, but it was getting boring. I opened up a cook book and it happened to be a recipe from Louisiana. After we ate it and liked it, I thought, why don't we make a meal from all 50 states. I researched on line via blogs, Wikipedia, and different cooking websites. I would compare like5 different sites and if they matched, I had my meal. If they were off, my research got a little more extensive. If I couldn't narrow down one meal (because a lot of states don't have official meals) I would either ask people from that state or I would research what the state veggie, fruit, drink, dessert, etc was until I found something that was state appropriate. I set up an Excel document with all 50 states, with their main meal, main dessert, main veggie, and main fruit accompanied by the website where I could find the meal. With all that, I just started cooking. I started March 26th and ended July 29th. I had no set pattern and no set time frame for when the meals were cooked. Sometimes it was when food was on sale, sometimes it was when food sounded good, and towards the end it just came down to wanting to be done. It was super fun to have something to look forward to. I think I would do this again but maybe countries next time. I really enjoyed cooking the states. Some I liked better than others, and some I would even make again, but over all it was fun to have a project to work on. It kinda made dinner exciting for Ethan and I.
seriously looks awesome Cami! I may (someday) have to copy this idea and do all of your recipes! Do I dare ask what a chislic is? (in case I spelled it wrong... the SD one)
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Cami! Now, on to eating your way across the globe? ;)
ReplyDeleteThis is so amazing! Way to go! I'm surprised you liked the Ohio chili the best. We live in Cincinnati now and all the locals love it and all the new-to-the-areas find it strange. We have been a couple of times and liked it better the 2nd time, so we are thinking it's an acquired taste. The amount of cheese they put on the chili is insane and kinda gross(and we loooove cheese!). Such a fun idea!!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool! We are totally doing this!
ReplyDeleteThis really is the best idea! I love it so much! I especially love that you posted your favorites and least favorites!
ReplyDelete