Wednesday, May 8, 2013

North Dakota Knophela

Before it got too warm, I wanted to make sure I made all the soups, stews, and chills so that we were not eating those in 100 degree weather. Good thing May is playing a trick on all of us and has given us plenty of chilly days to work with and so I finally have finished all the soups. North Dakota was the most recent state and I can easily say that it was the funnest to make. I made Knophela soup. It is a German dish apparently very popular in the Dakota area (Carolyn, correct me if I'm wrong)

Here is how I made it:
First you just do the basics that you would any other soup, cut, peel, boil, mash, pour, dice, add, etc, and then it was time for the fun part. Knophela is a type of bread/pasta. I mixed the ingredients to make a sticky dough. I rolled it out like a snake and then cut little pieces.
 Once the pieces were cut I let them boil in chicken stock, which in turn cooked the pieces of pasta/bread.
 Once they were double in size, puffy, and floating at the top, I added them to the soup!

It was so different and so much fun. The soup itself was delicious but very unhealthy. I don't know if I will make it again because we essentially drank a stick of butter and whipping cream, a habit that I don't want to get into.







No comments:

Post a Comment